In line with our statutory duties within the Equality Act 2010, the Constabulary have developed Equality objectives which will direct how we approach our operational and planning work around equality and diversity issues.
The Equality Board, which was set up in June 2013 to provide strategic oversight and governance of the organisations response to equality legislation, has developed the new objectives in line with a strategic assessment.
The objectives encompass the protected characteristics of race, disability, gender, gender reassignment, age, sexual orientation, religion and belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership.
Our Equality Objectives are:
- To improve the ways in which Cambridgeshire Constabulary interacts and works with those having protected characteristics in order to improve service delivery.
- To improve the constabularys understanding of the views, needs and expectations of those victims with protected characteristics to ensure they are satisfied with the services they receive.
- To protect and meet the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and communities.
- To shape recruitment, retention and progression activity (including positive action) to achieve a representative workforce.
- To develop an inclusive workforce where all staff have equality of opportunity.
- To evidence how the constabulary is meeting the three duties of the Equality Act across all business areas.
The Equality Board monitors progress on an action plan to deliver against these objectives.
The objectives reflect the importance of equality to Cambridgeshire Constabulary and we believe that together with our own analysis that includes the results of equality impact assessments and feedback from the community, will help assist in tackling discrimination, promote community cohesion and deliver a fair service.
We also collect data and information throughout the year which is scrutinised by specialist staff within the organisation. This information will help us understand and adapt our services to be more effective in meeting the needs of those with protected characteristics and will be made publically available.
Please click on "related documents" to see our Equality data and reports on progress.